DIET: A healthy diet starts with healthy food. Superfoods are some of the best foods to incorporate into your diet. They are chock-full of vitamins and minerals. To qualify as a superfood, it must be easily obtained, comprised of nutrients the promote life span, and have scientifically proven health benefits. Dr. Mercola has a phenomenal infographic to depict key superfoods and their qualities.
SUPPLEMENTATION FOR PREVENTION: Even with a healthy diet, ensuring we are getting essential nutrients is difficult due to many factors including quality of farming, organics, and diet dynamics. Supplementation is a great way to ensure you give your body all the essentials to keep your immunity up and prevent sickness or at the least ensure faster healing times.
The video below highlights Dr. Brie’s recommended supplements.
- Improved sleeping
- Improved behavior
- Improved immune system function
- Inclement weather
- Being too overwhelmed by the thought of beginning an exercise routine
- Not being in shape
- Fearful of an injury
- Feeling lonely while exercising
- Not wanting to feel sore
- Being too tired
- Don’t know how to exercise properly and safely
- Costs of working out are high
- Embarrassed by having people see them exercise
Below is a Ted Talk where Dan Ariely talks about the actual science of motivation.
- Inspirational content
- This can be as simple as listening to uplifting songs or reading a motivational book.
- It is important to be able to hold yourself accountable. This can help ensure that excuses aren’t being created to put off exercising. A helpful way to hold yourself responsible is to find someone you can work out with.
- Thinking positive is so simple, yet so important. Negative thoughts will end up reducing any motivation you may have.
- Push Yourself Within Reason
- While working out, it can be dangerous and detrimental to your motivation to exercise above your capabilities.
- Make Changes to your Environment
- There are changes that you can make to help raise the chance of you exercising. For example, if you work out at home you can leave the equipment in plain sight. This way the excuse that you forgot is eliminated.
During this time of the year, the focus seems to be on adults migrating to a healthier lifestyle. However, this time of the year is a great chance for children to adopt a healthy lifestyle as well. Spending time being active helps burn off calories which is helpful for a child who may be overweight. Additionally, exercise helps to form new neuro networks or connections. Make it a family affair! Kids look up to their parents. If they see their mom or dad setting goals to be healthy, they will want to be active and eat well also.